Support (IT Competencies)

What are the ToR of professional services with a remit to support student digital literacy? How do they provide support? What are the ToR of professional services with a remit to support staff capability? How do they provide support?

IT Competencies

The University has revised its basic IT competencies, those skills that all users of a computer at the University need to have. You should be able to check your own skill level by printing off the skills assessment questionnaire (no link location found for this on this page? http://my.arts.ac.uk/learn-it/2whatweoffer.htm), This policy and documentation is unclear and confusing. These competencies have very little relevance to practice based competencies, software creative applications etc.

1. Unknown at course level: some baseline examples: DIAL focus group transcript (section) 18/01/12 – Learning and Teaching day 2012:

CF: One of the primary goals of the project is – Improved Graduate Employability – which is also extremely topical at the moment, It would be good to talk bout that. I guess the way I feel about that as a student or teacher- is what’s been taught, during the time that you your time at UAL and that’s preparing you for industry for practice, and what with regards to digital literacy- and what are the key…I am unaware of UAL, and this is part of the project, in regards to a base line, in terms of getting an overview of the UAL landscape, what processes are in place, indeed are there processes, do we need skill sets, do we need to acknowledge that students that come in, need to maybe be assessed.

R 9: Transferable skills, use for industry, it doesn’t matter what they studied but to prepare themselves, for opportunities to learn digital literacies and enable/make their CV better more versatile for potential employers

CF: Has anyone ever had the their Digital knowledge assessed?  Or How do your teachers know where you need support? What are the processes in place?

R 10  Form assessments, experience, I remember at interview- checking out my Blog, and learning about this, so this is one way of looking at digital literacies.

CF One for me is when you apply for jobs. Especially at UAL, when you put your key strengths down, and so in a way that’s logging where you are at that point, then you can think, then you can look back say a year later and its nice to see that record, and you think, I know all that. There is no way of projecting that.

R 11 One of the things you always do is looking at things like applications on line, and what the assessment of documenting someone’s digital literacy, in terms of where you stood, what you are applying for.

CF: I think there are different subjects, if you are a Fine Art painters, What is important? what digitally is important to a Fine artist?

R 11 – Exactly, obviously to your needs.

R12  – I had to have a test a practical test, and although a long time ago, also we actually had a course here that used a CAD CAM? And we were finding on the course, students of different ages, and different abilities, using computers a lot and using software, didn’t know how to save, so we can do some tests during interview, not so that we  can say ‘no’ you can not come on the course or not but we can preempt or tell who needed more support, and if we could maybe put something in to do some basics.

CF: Yes, I found that useful myself just getting an overview of what students know. So you can gauge where to support,

R12  – It was a very basic test, Can you do this, can you save that?

CF  – And again, you keep thinking that it is not just about software applications, but information literacy’s, navigating, and searching for things.

R13  – Following on from that, something that happened with my students and the induction group, separate groups, I do a questionnaire on their digital technology, blogging, from online to use of digital technology Smart Codes and their aspirations what you want to get out of learning DL.

CF  – That’s good for our base line

R13  – It makes our job easier, so you get a full survey

R14 – Something that happened across the Board, is how we are being taught how to learn digital literacy, and what is fundamental for students, what’s going on when their producing a kind of finished product. What is happening on their computer?  Because everyone, whatever their background are taught how to use these complex tools, once it’s been made. This is what teachers have been telling us, there is a problem that their experiencing of using these tools comes with a fundamental misunderstanding of how they work.

This entry was posted in Support and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.